This year’s Fethard Festival Family Fun Day will take place on Sunday, June 17, with the usual fun of the fair by the Town Wall park, with live music and lots of stalls! Other events over the weekend will include a Treasure Trail on Saturday, June 16, and the Annual Duck Race (660 Ducks) on the river Clashawley.
On Sunday, June 17, the traditional Fancy Dress Parade will commence at 2pm from Fethard Ballroom, where all entries in the parade are to assemble at 1.30pm to prepare for the parade. The Fancy Dress Parade will be led by Banna Chluain Meala, up through Main Street and down to the Town Wall, where Banna Chluain Meala will treat you to a musical display while judging takes place. This year we have fantastic prize money for the parade sponsored by Fethard and Killusty Community Council. All sections, individual, group and floats are more than welcome to participate and pick your own theme. Further queries regarding the parade please contact Marian Gilpin, The Valley, Fethard.
At the Medieval Town Wall we will have all the usual ‘Fun Fair’ and side shows including ‘Uncle Mike’ with his Pet Zoo, which is always very popular with all age groups. Pat Culligan and Catherine Newport will host their very popular annual Dog Show after the parade and this event attracts entries from all over the county. Local group ’The Sheehans’ will provide live music throughout the afternoon, playing all your favourite tunes.
Kevin Lawlor, one of the Indians that was part of the entry that won First Prize in the Group section of last year’s Fancy Dress Parade. This year’s Fancy Dress Parade takes place on Sunday, June 17, 2018.
Along the variety of food and craft stalls available, Fethard Rugby Club will provide their usual comprehensive family food stall where you can sit down and relax while children enjoy the huge array of amusements available, very kindly sponsored by the Magnier Family at Coolmore.
So, pleae do come along early as it looks like it's going to be another fantastic ‘Fethard Festival’ and ‘Family Fun Day’ again this year.
Abymill 30th Anniversary celebrated with a gathering of friends on May 31, in Fethard.
Marian Gilpin, Chairperson of the Fethard Players, speaking at the gathering in McCarthy’s Bar to celebrate the 30th Anniversary Celebration of the Abymill Theatre.
On Saturday, May 26, Abymill Theatre celebrated its thirtieth anniversary, and to mark the occasion, a special gathering was held in McCarthy’s Bar on the following Thursday night, May 31, where all involved in any way were welcome to come along and celebrate this milestone with the Abymill Board members.
A large number of locals associated with the Abymill, Fethard Players and Hogan Musical Society, gathered informally to reminisce over the past three decades of theatrical life in Fethard. The evening was enhanced with a presentation of photographs of the Abymill renovation work which started in 1985, followed by images from past productions, plays and fundraising events throughout the past 30 years.
Photographed at the Abymill Theatre 30th Anniversary Celebrations are L to R: Mary Fogarty, Agnes Evans and Geraldine McCarthy
Tasty finger foods were served to all present, followed by Marian Gilpin, chairperson of Fethard Players, thanking Austin O’Flynn for his foresight in pursuing the Abymill project and inviting him to cut the Abymill’s ‘30th Anniversary Birthday Cake’.
Many of the original Abymill Board of Management were present to join in the celebration and those who had passed on, well remembered and appreciated.
Members of the current Abymill Board of Management at the 30th Anniversary Celebrations on Thursday, May 31. Back L to R: Michael Kenrick, Jimmy O'Shea, Niamh Hayes, Vinny Murphy, Michael McCarthy (Joint Administrator), Front L to R: Joe Kenny (Chairman), Agnes Evans (Treasurer), Austin O'Flynn (Joint Administrator) and Marian Gilpin (Secretary. Also on the board are Eileen Maher and Mia Treacy.
The 150-year-old Fethard mill which ceased operation in 1936 was reopened as a theatre on Thursday, May 26, 1988. Located beside the Augustinian Abbey and known as Coffey's Mill, it stood empty and derelict for many years. It was built in 1791 and reconstructed in 1847 by a Mr Richard Harvey. The mill passed to the Coffey family early in the century and gave employment to about 14 people. It was used to grind corn but also included a creamery, bakery and shop, which sold everything from groceries to hardware.
The idea of having a permanent theatre in Fethard was first discussed in 1983. Premises considered at that time were, Holy Trinity Church of Ireland and the Town Hall. Work commenced in the Town Hall (then closed due to fire regulations) with the installation of fire escapes etc. After being allowed to reopen, various organisations started using the hall again, so it was decided to look further afield.
Pauline Coffey in Burke Street was then approached about acquiring the old corn mill. Her generosity resulted in the formation of a special committee, known as the Mill Restoration Committee. The committee elected at a public meeting consisted of: Austin O'Flynn (chairman), Gemma Kenny (secretary), Agnes Evans (treasurer), Joe Kenny (pro), Jimmy O'Shea, Marian Mulligan, Billy McLellan, Carmel Rice, Billy Kenny, Michael McCarthy, Jimmy Connolly, Fr. Ormond OSA, Noelle O'Dwyer and Jimmy McInerney.
In May 1983 the dilapidated mill was handed over to the committee and by September, local voluntary workers had the building cleaned out. In January 1985, the first of the 80 young people on an ANCO Youth Training Programme started work under foreman Tom Burke. Work continued at a steady pace under Tom’s expert direction and in July 1987, the Mill Project was the joint winner in the South Tipperary Community Endeavour Award sponsored by The Nationalist and the Trustee Saving Bank.
Photographed at the Abymill Theatre 30th Anniversary Celebrations are L to R: Michael Kenrick, Gerry Fogarty, Jimmy Connolly and Jimmy O’Shea.
Photographed at the Abymill Theatre 30th Anniversary Celebrations are L to R: Liam O'Connor and Jane Holohan.
Social dancing at Fethard Ballroom
Fethard Ballroom continues its social dancing on this coming Sunday night, June 10, to the very popular music of ‘Adrian Ryan’. All are welcome to come along and enjoy a great night’s entertainment and social dancing from 9pm to midnight. Admission is €9, which includes tea and cakes.
Fethard ICA Meeting
Fethard ICA June meeting takes place on Tuesday, June 12, at 8 pm. Our speaker this month is a member of Irish Wheelchair Association. Catering this month by the ‘Yellow Group’.
Our Annual Outing this year will take place on Thursday, June 28, and is open to non-members. The outing will include a visit to Nicholas Moss in Bennettsbridge, also the Arboretum and Altamont Gardens, then on to Langton’s for our evening meal. Anyone interested contact Margaret Phelan 087-9717748 or Catherine O’Connell 086-3525743.
Fethard Historical Society ‘Transcribeathon’
There a still a few places left if anyone would like to volunteer to help out next Saturday, June 9, as members transcribe information form the Fethard Town Atlas onto computer. Basic keyboard skills are all that is necessary, and people can participate for as long or as short a time as they wish. The transcription will begin at 10am with a brief explanation of what is involved. It is envisaged that people will work in half hour slots with breaks for refreshments. Lunch will be provided. The session will finish at 5pm. Members and non-members are welcome to take part. If interested, please contact Mary Hanrahan on 087 9009722.
Sports Achievement Award nominations for May
The following sixteen nominations were received for the Butler’s Bar Fethard Sports Achievement Award for May.
Andrew Phelan – Andrew rode his first point to point winner at Stradbally, Co. Waterford, riding his father’s horse ‘Batchelors Walk’.
Dick O’Brien – Dick owns and trains point-to-point winner ‘Only A Fiver’ which was successful in his home place Lisronagh.
Kate Davey – A member of the Tipperary senior ladies football panel who were winners of the National Division 2 League.
Gavin Ahearne – Gold medal winner and county Tipperary javelin champion, also silver medal in the Shot Putt event.
Fethard U14 ladies football team – Winners of South and County Community Games titles.
Fethard U11 hurling team – Winners of south Tipperary Community Games title.
Fethard U12 ladies football team – Winners of south Tipperary Community Games title.
Dorothy Wall – Bronze medal with Irelands U18 Ladies Rugby team at a recent international tournament.
Sean McGarry Thompson – Gold in Archery for this young man at an event held in Ashgrove, Co. Waterford.
Patrician Presentation Ladies Footballers – Munster Junior ‘D’ Plate winners beating Boherbue from Cork in the final.
Ricky O’Neill – Manager of Wilderness Rovers soccer team winners of Division 2 TSDL League.
Kelly Ryan, Kate Burke, Jess Gleeson – Members of the Tipp ‘B’ U14 Ladies Football team Munster championship winners versus Waterford.
Mark Moloney – Selector and mentor to the Tipp U14 ladies winners of the Munster B title.
Emily Fox – A member of a ‘Five-Person’ team that finished second in a junior pony games competition held in Shrewsbury U.K.
Ben Coen – This young jockey continues his winning ways with two victories including his first oversees win at Ayr in Scotland.
The Ahearne Family – Breeders of ‘Romanised’, the shock 20/1 winner of the Irish 1000 Guineas.
The winner will be announced at a special award presentation night in Butler’s Bar on this Friday night, June 8. All are welcome.
‘Pink Cycle’ for charity on Sunday, June 10
Fethard Pedallers Cycling Club have organised a ‘Pink Cycle’ (not just for girls) on Sunday, June 10, with all proceeds going to Fethard & District Day Care Centre and The Irish Cancer Society. Registration opens at 8.30am and closes 15 minutes before starting times – 9.30am for 55k cycle and 10am for 20k cycle. Helmets (and pink) must be worn, bikes and cyclists must be fit for the journey and please contact Biddy O’Dwyer Tel: 087 6410352 for further details. This is a Cycling Ireland approved open road event.
'Comedy Capers' at Clonacody House
The Fionn Mac Cumhaill Players will present their two one-act plays 'Comedy Capers at 8pm in Clonacody House, on June 21, 22 and 23; and at Crocanoir, Mullinahone, on June 24. Tickets are €20 (includes refreshments). Booking now at Tel: 086 0834208.
Thanks from Day Care Centre
The Fethard & District Day Care Centre wish to thank all who contributed to our Church Gate Collection over the past two weekends. We also wish to thank our collectors for their time.
Fethard & Killusty Community Lotto
The numbers drawn on May 30, were: 7, 14, 25 and 27. There was no jackpot winner and no ‘Match Three’ winner so the following drawn tickets received €50 each: Derry Curran, Woodvale Walk, Fethard; Kitty O'Sullivan, Canon Hayes Park, Fethard; and A.S. Pomphrey (online ticket).
The following ‘Lucky Dip’ winners also received €50 each: Teresa Fenlon, c/o Mary Sayers, Crampscastle; Ann Butler, Main Street, Fethard; and Anna Cooke, St. Patrick's Place, Fethard.
Next week’s draw takes place on Wednesday, June 6. The Jackpot is €10,000 and the Jackpot seller’s prize is €1,000. All proceeds go towards community projects in Fethard, and we thank you for your on-going support.
Corpus Christi Procession
Canon Tom Breen A.P. leading the annual Corpus Christi Procession in Fethard on Sunday evening last, June 3. The ceremonies concluded in the grounds of the Augustinian Abbey. (Photos by John Kenrick).
GAA Sports Development Lotto
The numbers drawn on Friday, June 1, were: 10, 26, 27 and 31. There was no jackpot winner and one ‘match three’ winner who received €100: Angela Moroney, Mobarne. Two Lucky Dip Winners won €25 each: Ann-Laura & Kate Ryan, Tullamaine; and Kayleigh Quinn, Clonmel.
The next draw takes place on Friday, June 8, in Burke’s Bar at 7.30pm, when the jackpot is €20,000 and the sellers prize is €1,000.
The committee of Fethard GAA/Sports Centre Development Lotto would like to thank all our supporters near and far who participate in our weekly lotto draw. The funds raised are used to promote sport in the local community.
Fethard & Killusty Community Games Athletics Results
Medal winners in the sprint races at the Area Finals in Killusty. Back L to R: Ronan O'Meara, Noah O'Flynn, Sean McEvoy, Padraic Heffernan, Louis Ryan. Middle L to R: Richard Murphy, Kelvin Ryan, Roisin Tyrell, Catie Coonan, Grace Coen, Fiona Barry, Kiera Daniels. Front L to R: Daniel Barry, Sophie Ward, Ewan Byrne, Mai Hayes, Zoe Thompson, Ruby Holohan, Eoghan Neville, Tomas O'Rahilly and Aaron Allen.
The results of Fethard & Killusty Community Games Athletics, Long Puck & Cycling on Grass held in Killusty are as follows.
U8 80M Girls: 1st Kelly Quinlan. Boys: 1st Sam Donovan, 2nd Thomas O’Rahilly, 3rd Jake Daniels.
U10 100M Girls:1st Roisin Tyrell, 2nd Katie Coonan, 3rd Mai Hayes. Boys: 1st Thomas Murphy, 2nd Ronan O’Meara, 3rd Kelvin Ryan.
U10 200m Girls: 1st Mai Hayes, 2nd Sophie McEvoy, 3rd Charlotte Walsh. Boys: 1st Jack O’Donnell, 2nd Joseph Gaule, Joint 3rd Kelvin Ryan & Joe Purcell
U12 100M Girls: 1st Grace Coen, 2nd Fiona Barry, 3rd Keira Daniels. Boys: 1st Sean McEvoy, 2nd Noah O’Flynn, 3rd Daniel Barry.
U12 600m Boys (no girls): 1st Daniel Barry, 2nd Mark O’Meara, 3rd Micheál O’Rahilly.
U14 100m Girls: 1st Amy Morrissey. Boys:1st Charlie Hackett, 2nd Padraic Heffernan, 3rd Louis Ryan.
U14 800m Boys (no girls): 1st Louis Ryan, 2nd Padraic Heffernan.
Long Puck U12 Boys: 1st Sam Coen, 2nd Gavin Neville.
Long Puck U14 Girls: 1st Sarah Smith, 2nd Amy Morrissey.
Cycling on Grass 2km U12 Girls: 1st Emily Holohan, 2nd Katie Coonan, 3rd Laura Coonan. U12 Boys: 1st Jake Feery, 2nd Richard Murphy, 3rd Cormac O’Donnell. U14 Boys: 1st Matt Coen, 2nd Jake Coen.
Long Puck competitors at the Area Community Games Finals in Killusty L to R: Sam Coen (gold), Gavin Neville (silver), Sarah Smith (gold), and Amy Morrissey (silver).
County Athletics Finals in Moyne next Sunday, June 10
Those entered County Athletics Finals for Community Games in Moyne next Sunday, June 10, are as follows. U8 60m: Zoe Thompson, Sophie Ward, Aaron Allen, Ewan Byrne. U8 80m: Kelly Quinlan, Sam Donovan, Thomas O’Rahilly. U10 100m: Roisin Tyrell, Katie Coonan, Thomas Murphy, Ronan O’Meara. U10 200m: Mai Hayes, Joseph Gaule, Kelvin Ryan. U12 100m: Fiona Barry. U12 600m: Daniel Barry, Mark O’Meara. U14 100m: Amy Morrissey, Charlie Hackett, Padraic Heffernan. U14 800m: Louis Ryan. Long Puck: Sarah Smith and Sam Coen.
There will be an early start due to Tipp v Clare hurling match in Thurles. Time possibly 9.15am – to be confirmed during the week.
The Cycle on Grass Boys U12, for Jake Feery and Richard Murphy, will take place in Old CBS Roscrea on Wednesday, June 13 at 8pm.
Anyone interested in travelling to County Finals in Moyne on Sunday, June 10, please contact Noreen Sheehy Tel: 087 3184298 immediately as late entries will not be accepted.
Fethard Parish Church bicentenary – A Brief History
As Fethard Parish Church prepares to celebrate its bicentenary next year, it seems appropriate to look at the history of the church since its foundation.
Fr. John Ryan, came to Fethard in 1802 to take up his ministry in the Catholic church of the Holy Trinity, built in 1704, situated outside the Town Wall in what is now the school sports field. It was located in the corner nearest the site now occupied by the Presentation Convent. This church housed the three carved wooden medieval statues which originally belonged to the medieval Holy Trinity Parish Church (now the Church of Ireland). These statues comprised St. John the Baptist, The Holy Trinity and Christ on Calvary. They had escaped the destruction of the Reformation by virtue of being hidden away for safekeeping.
Fr. Ryan was born in Donohill in 1771. He was educated for the priesthood in Salamanca in Spain and when he returned to Ireland in 1798 he was appointed as curate in Killenaule. before taking up his position as Parish Priest in Fethard at the relatively young age of thirty-one.
The oldest Parish register dates from 1806 and records the baptisms and marriages that took place in this chapel as well as those which were performed in the homes of the local people as was common practice at that time.
Fr. Ryan undertook the building of a new church within the walls of the town. A contemporary document credits Fr. Ryan as being the ‘architect of the new church, aided by a local first-class architect.’ The church is Georgian in style with some Spanish influences in its façade, possibly reflecting the time spent by Fr. Ryan in Salamanca.
The site for the new church was donated by Mr William Barton of Grove, the local Protestant who was also Sovereign (Mayor) of Fethard at that time. He also donated one hundred guineas towards the building costs. To comply with the existing laws Mr Barton imposed a yearly rent of one shilling. In 1926 his descendant, Captain Charles R. Barton, executed a deed in favour of Fr. John Russell, P.P. remitting that rent for all time.
The building work began on April 2, 1818, and Mr William Barton was invited to lay the foundation stone of the new church on April 26. The Church opened with the celebration of the first Mass on Trinity Sunday 1819. Like its predecessors, it was dedicated to the Most Holy Trinity and, once again, the three medieval wooden statues were installed as objects of veneration. It is worth noting that the building of the church in Fethard anticipated Catholic Emancipation by at least a decade. Obviously local conditions were conducive to such an undertaking at that time as is borne out by the generosity of Mr Barton.
Although the church had officially opened on Trinity Sunday 1819, it was far from fully finished. One presumes that the building of such a large church placed considerable monetary demands on the local catholic population of whom would have been quite poor at that time. When Fr. Michael Laffan succeeded Fr. Ryan as Parish Priest in 1823, he undertook the completion of Holy Trinity Church. The floor was paved with stone flags, the front gallery was erected, and the church was painted and decorated. Towards the end of the century, a number of parishioners became benefactors of the church.
In 1869, Mr Henry Munster, M.P. Cassel endowed the church with the Stations of the Cross. In 1883, Mrs Ellen Coyne, Main Street, presented the costly high altar and reredos in memory of her brother Dr. John Stokes. Mrs Patrick Coffey, Main Street, presented the side altars dedicated to the Sacred Heart and Our Lady. Mr Clement J. Carroll, Rocklow, presented the organ in 1886 and the following year Archdeacon Kinane made a gift of the communion rails. Other altars, statues, memorial windows and a pulpit were donated as time went on. Temporary repairs were carried out on the main roof trusses and beams in 1903 and major redecoration of the church took place in 1911.
As the parish prepared to celebrate 150 years in Holy Trinity Church a major refurbishment was initiated in 1962. Local engineer, Mr Patrick Coffey both planned and supervised the renovations which included replacing decayed roof beams and trusses, replacing the original heavy roof with a roof of lighter slates. The exterior walls were replastered where necessary while the internal walls were stripped down and totally replastered. The pillars under the three galleries were replaced by steel girders stretching from wall to wall. In the course of the work, the side galleries were found to be unsafe and it was decided to rebuild them completely. The church was completely rewired, and a public-address system was installed. The belfry and the façade of the church were cleaned, repaired and pointed. When the church was first built space had been left on the façade for the installation of a mechanical clock, but it never happened. However, in 1966 a large electric clock was finally inserted in the designated opening.
The recent changes in the liturgy introduced in Vatican II meant major adjustments to the altar, tabernacle and sanctuary of the church. The side altars were taken down, the high altar was dismantled and re-erected at a lower level in order to allow Mass to be said facing the people. The tabernacle was inset in the wall immediately behind the altar and some of the marble from the original reredos was used to make the new ambo. The sacristy was extensively renovated, new panels of stained glass were inserted in the porch screen and the lunette over the central door reproduced that of the ancient mediaeval Fethard Holy Trinity figure, in tribute to the name of the Parish Church. The lunette over the other doors depicted the arms of the Presentation Sisters and the Patrician Brothers, acknowledging their work in the parish schools.
His Grace, Thomas Morris, Archbishop of Cashel and Emly, presided at the solemn dedication of Holy Trinity Church to celebrate its 150th Anniversary on Trinity Sunday 1969. Also present was Archbishop Patrick O’Donnell of Brisbane, a native of Fethard who had returned to join in the celebrations. Canon Christopher Lee, was Parish Priest at the time and he compiled a history of the Parish of Fethard and Killusty to mark the occasion. As the people of Fethard prepare to celebrate the bicentenary of the church it might be an appropriate time to revisit that history and bring it up to date.
Tipperary museum attracts double expected visitors in its first season
– The Examiner, Monday, June 4, 2018,
by Conor Kane
FHS staff and committee members with Aidan and Joseph O'Brien who presented the Melbourne Cup to be displayed for the coming season.
Visitor numbers at one of the country’s newest and most original visitor attractions have more than doubled expectations during its first year in operation.
Now the Fethard Horse Country Experience (FHCE) in Co Tipperary has lined up a new range of promotions to encourage more people to enjoy its unique offering of culture, history and sport as well as Fethard’s historic and picturesque surroundings.
The museum, officially opened last year by local resident Andrew Lloyd Webber, received an unusual birthday present last week when trainer Joseph O’Brien presented the Melbourne Cup which his superstar thoroughbred Rekindling won last November, to be displayed for the coming season.
It joins the Cheltenham Gold Cup won by War of Attrition, trained locally by Mouse Morris, in 2006 as well as a wealth of other memorabilia including the skeleton of multiple champion horse racing sire Sadler’s Wells, formerly resident just up the road at Coolmore Stud.
Photographed at Fethard Horse Country Experience First Birthday celebrations are L to R: Anthony Fitzgerald (County Development Board), Sinead Carr (Director of Services Tipperary County Council), Fr Liam Everard P.P. and Peter Grant (FHC)
FHCE was hoping to welcome about 3,000 visitors during its first eight months of operation but recorded 6,500 people going through the doors of the historic building, originally built as a Tholsel and used variously over the years as a town hall, fire station, library, market venue, and general community centre.
In its new guise as a museum, it also hosts community events and acts as a hub for locals and visitors alike.
This year brings an opportunity to see inside the world-famous Coolmore Stud, only available by visiting the horse country experience museum first, while a number of local eateries including McCarthy’s Hotel, Dooks Fine Foods and Emily’s Delicatessen are offering 10% discounts to FHCE visitors.
Friendly staff members at Fethard Horse Country Experience L to R: Kate O'Dwyer, Brid Ryan Bourke, Emma Lae Lay and Laura Condon.
So far, the museum has attracted visitors from Sri Lanka, New Zealand, Japan, Canada, the US, Australia, China, and the United Arab Emirates, with a positive knock-on effect for the historic walled town. “After a number of years where the whole of Ireland experienced the harsh realities of the economic downturn, it is extremely rewarding and encouraging to see the regeneration of our town,” said chairman of the Fethard Community Heritage Centre Jimmy O’Sullivan.”The museum is the culmination of a number of years of hard work from both the local community and our supporters and funders, for which we are extremely grateful.”
Photographed at Fethard Horse Country Experience First Birthday celebrations are staff members L to R: Sheila Forrest, Catherine Britton and Eileen Croke.
The €1.6m investment, supported by Tipperary County Council as well as the Magnier family of Coolmore Stud, the Andrew Lloyd Webber Foundation, Fáilte Ireland, and the Leader Programme, places Fethard as “a key destination” in Ireland’s Ancient East.
The high-spec museum was developed by Event Communications, who were also responsible for the Titanic Museum in Belfast, the Guinness Storehouse in Dublin, and EPIC at the CHQ Building in Dublin.
Jimmy O'Sullivan interviewed on Tipp FM On Tipp Today, May 31, Fran Curry was joined by Chairman of the Fethard Community Heritage Centre, Jimmy O’Sullivan. Fethard Country Horse Experience celebrated its 1st birthday this week and also marked the launch of its summer season initiative which will see Coolmore Stud opens its gates to visitors for the first time. Oh, and there was also little matter of the Melbourne Cup!
Fethard Faces and Places from the Past The following are a selection of photographs recently added to the Fethard Faces and Places from the Past page on Facebook, also published here
for the benefit of our readers who are not on Facebook. The Facebook page is used for sharing old Fethard photographs with other members of the group and is open to all interested in joining. Send any comments or photo information to email@example.com
John Kenrick posted this photo taken in Clonacody yard in the 1970s of L to R:
Dinny Walsh, Mary Fleming and Billy Bryan.
John Healy, originally from The Green and now living in Australia, posted these interesting photos of The Green some years ago.
John Healy, originally from The Green and now living in Australia, posted these interesting photos of The Green some years ago.
John Healy, originally from The Green and now living in Australia, posted these interesting photos of The Green some years ago.
Gerry Leahy, originally from Fethard and now living in Kilkenny posted this press cutting after hearing of the recent death of Paddy Tierney. –
Fethard senior football team, 1965 Tipperary Man's Cup winners. The late Paddy Tierney is second from left in the back row. May he rest in peace. Back L to R: Cly Mullins, Paddy Tierney, M. Sheehan, Timmy O’Dwyer ( Clonmel), John Fitzgerald, A. Ruddy (Mayo native working in Fethard area at time), Davy Fitzgerald, Liam Condon. Middle L to R: Sean Connolly, P. Maher, Sean Moloney, Liam Flaherty, Pat Barrett, Eamon Butler, Waltie Moloney, Front L to R: Gerry Leahy, Jimmy O’Shea, Joe Clarke and Pat Byrne.
Fethard News Items for inclusion on this website and on the weekly Fethard News page on The Nationalist can be emailed before noon on Mondays to firstname.lastname@example.org or delivered by hand to Joe Kenny, Rocklow Road, Fethard.
This site is maintained by Joe Kenny, Rocklow Road, Fethard, Co. Tipperary, Ireland.
By using this site you accept the conditions of our Disclaimer document which can be read by clicking below. DISCLAIMER