Fethard Burial Ground Records
from available information researched (not complete)
( A TRANSLATION FROM THE ORIGINAL LATIN)
This ancient monument of the most
illustrions Barons of Dunboyne was restored to its present state by dame Ellen Geraldine Lady Dunboyne,
daughter of the Count of Desmond, in memory of her beloved husband, Edmund Butler, Lord Baron of Dunboyne, who died 17 March 1640.
A translated epitapl runs thus:
‘Beneath this marble cold doth lie Edmundus, continent,
And where he lieth both contain the entire worlds extent .
READ, “The Friars of Fethard”
The Butler Monument formely stood inside the walls of the old church but is now inserted in the Northern Wall of the ruined side Chapel.