Refurbishment and Restoration
Home | Achievements | Letter of Aproval | Introduction | End Result
The Mill was built in 1791. It went under reconstruction in 1847 and was closed down in 1933. The above photograph was taken in 1904.
The Mill in a dilapidated state
The Voluntary Workers
This was when The Mill was in its worst state. The owner of The Mill, Mrs Pauline Coffey, Burke Street, was approached by the committee and the premises were acquired for a nominal sum (1983).
The local voluntary workers started removing debris from the Mill and from all floors (September 1983).
Included above are Back L to R: Michael Allen, Austin O'Flynn. Front L to R: Michael McCarthy, Jimmy O'Shea, Jimmy Connolly, John Fogarty, Jim Allen and Percy O'Flynn.
Refurbishment Of The Roof
In the same month of September the roof of the Mill was secured and an application was made to the AnCO (1983)
ANCO Commence Work
14 Months later AnCO start work on the Abymill (January 1985)
Employment of Local Workers
ANCO employed many local youth workers to work on the Abymill photographed above with foreman Mr Tom Burke (January 1985)
Reconstruction of Interior
Reconstruction of the interior of the building continues. Wooden beams are now replaced with steel (March 1986).
Youth Involved in the Mill Project