Fethard at Your Fingertips
Home | News | Local Information | Aerial Views | Photo Gallery | Emigrants' Newsletter | Phone Directory
Podcasts | Historical Society | Local Development Plan | Recommended Links | Donations

Fethard on Facebook | Fethard on YouTube

Businesses in Fethard 1886

As listed in Guy's Postal Directory of Munster 1886

Post town and parish 19m from Clonmel. Population of parish, 2,044 of town 1,926. Fethard ( Fiodh-ard, “high wood”) is a town of considerable antiquity, and is at present remarkable for the preservation of some of its walls and fortifications. Three of the five entrances to the town are through castellated gateways. It was formerly governed by a sovereign, burgesses and freemen, assisted by recorder, town clerk, etc, and before the Union returned two members to the Irish parliament. In 1306 the friars eremites of the order of St Augustine obtained from Edward I. A full and free pardon for having acquired, contrary to the statute of mortmain, some land for rebuilding their monastery, which had been founded here at a very early period. In 1376 Edward III. Granted to the provost and commonality certain customs, to enable them to surround the town with walls, and a similar grant was made to them by Henry IV. In 1650 the town was besieged by Cromwell, and capitulated on honourable terms. Fethard is finely situated in a rich tract of country, chiefly under grass, which lies around the western base of Slievenaman: and the river Clasanly, which rises in the bog of Allen, intersects the district and passes through the town. Near the town are some fine limestone quarries, whence very large blocks are procured. Slieveardagh collieries about 8m distant. Remains of many ancient castles in the neighbourhood. The protestant church ( the remaining nave of an ancient structure) has been restored at considerable cost, and is now a handsome place of worship. The Catholic Church of the Holy Trinity is a spacious modern structure; the abbey of the Augustinians has been restored and partly rebuilt, and now presents a handsome appearance; Presbyterian meetinghouse, convent etc,. The following surrounding parishes are served from this post office:- Baptistgrange,(pop. 269), Barrettsgrange(151), Cloneen ( 829), Colman (289), Coolmundry (129), Kiltinan (511), Mora (233), Peppardstown (424), Rathcool (627), Redcity (60).
Kiltinan Castle is an ancient circular tower, standing on a nearly perpendicular limestone rock 90 feet high, within the demesne of Kiltinan, The ruined castle of Knockkelly, parish of Peppardstown, consists of a large and nearly perfect square tower encompassed by a strong wall. There is an ancient meat or fort within the limits of this parish. Some remains of the Castle of Slanestown and an ancient fort in the parish of Rathcool.

Mrs B. D. Heany, (news) Main Street.
Thomas A. Kendrick, (emigration) Main Street.
James Kenny, (insurance) Main Street.
John H. Sadlier, (land) Main Street.
Henry B. Sayers, (agricultural implement) Main Street.

Michael Coffey, Abbey Street.
John H. Sadlier, Main Street.

Patrick Coffey, Main Street.
Patrick Doheny, Main Street.
John McCarthy, Main Street.
Michael McCarthy, Main Street.
John Mockler, Main Street.
John Teahan, Main Street.

John Harrington, Main Street.

China & Glass Dealers,
John Hall, Main Street.
Margaret Lonergan, Main Street.
Michael McCarthy, Main Street.

Corn Merchants,
Michael Coffey, Moore Street,
John McCarthy, Main Street.
James Shea, Milestown.

J. Hall, Main Street.
Sarah Landers, Main Street.
Michael McCarthy, Main Street.
Mary Maher, Main Street.
Thomas Mockler, Main Street.
Thomas O’Donnell, Main Street.

Egg Merchant,
Michael Daniel, Main Street.

Flour & Meal Dealers,
John Byrne, Moore Street.
James Fennessy, Main Street.
Michael Walsh, Moore Street.
William Walsh, Moore Street.

Lawrence Byrne, Main Street.
Margaret Lonergan, Main Street.
Jeremiah McCarthy, Moore Street.
John McCarthy, Main Street.
Michael McCarthy, Main Street.
Henry B. Sayers, Main Street.
John Shea, Moore Street.
Susan Stokes, Main Street.

Horse Dealer,
John O’Donnell, Kerry Street.

John De Bugg, Upper Valley.
Thomas A. Kendrick, Main Street.
H. B. Sayers, Main Street.

Leather Dealers,
John McCarthy, Main Street.
Walter O’Donnell, Main Street.

Local Quarries for Sand, Stone, etc.
Jesuits walk- Sand.
St Johnstown-_Stone. W. Daly. Prop.

Richard Clancy, Clare Mills, Killusty.
Michael Coffey, Abbey Mills.

Milliners & Dressmakers,
Mary Bowes, Moore Street.
Catherine Candy, Green Street.
Margaret Herr, Main Street.
Mary Maher, Main Street.
Johanna Murphy, Moore Street.
Mary St John, Moore Street.
Mary Tubbardy, Barrack Street.

Provision Dealers,
David Cunningham, Moore Street.
Jeremiah O’Brien, Green Street.

Saw Mill,
John McCarthy, Main Street.

Shopkeepers (General),
Michael Landers, Fethard.
Margaret Teahan, Main Street.

Mrs B. D. Heany, Main Street.
H.B. Sayers, Main Street.
Ellen T. Smith, Main Street.

Tailors & Outfitters,
John Bowes, Moore Street.
Edward Kendrick, Main Street.
Michael Mara, Green.

Timber Merchant,
John McCarthy, Main Street.

Slater & Plasterer,
Edmond Bryan, Main Street.
William Greene, Moore Street.

Nail Makers,
John Butler, The Valley.
William Butler, Clonmel Road.
Laurence Coady, Abbey Street.
Michael Fitzgerald, The Valley.
Michael Keating, Crampts Bridge.
Michael Kelly, The Valley.
Edmund Murphy, The Valley.
Jeremiah Purtil, Clonmel Road.
William Ryan & Son, Clonmel Road.
James Sheedy, Cashel Road.
John Wall, Abbey Street.

Thomas Byrne, Cashel Road.
John Donovan, Kilnockan.
David O’Meara, Cashel Road.

Painter & Glazier,
Jas. Hackett, Abbey Street

Thomas Croke, Main Street.
Bernard Devlin, Main Street.
Edward Devlin, Main Street.
Charles McCarthy, Moore Street.
Patrick McCarthy, Moore Street.
Richard McCarthy, Moore Street.
Thomas Shea, Moore Street.

John Fitzgerald, Main Street.

Patrick Guilfoyle, Moore Street.
W.D. Heffernan & Son, Chapel Lane.
John Hickey, Watergate.
Richard Lonergan, Green Street.
Lawrence Parker, Chapel lane.

Patrick Heffernan, Moore Street
William Kenny, Green Street.
Owen O’Toole, Clonmel Road.
William Walsh, Green.

M. Heffernan, Main Street.

Robert Maher, Green.

Harness maker,
Denis Shea, Main Street.

James Daniel, Main Street.
Patrick Maher, Main Street.

Stokes, Main Street, Susan Stokes, prop.
The Castle, Main Street, Margaret Hogan, prop.

Mary Barrett, Main Street.
Laurence Byrne, Main Street.
Mary Dwane, Main Street.
Patrick Gearon, Moore Street.
Margaret Hogan, Main Street.
Margaret Lonergan, Main Street.
Jeremiah McCarthy, Moore Street.
John McCarthy, Main Street.
Michael McCarthy, Main Street.
James Connell, Main Street.
John Schofield, Main Street.
John Shea, Moore Street.
Susan Stokes, Main Street.
Henry B. Sayers, Main Street.

82 Farmers listed.

Post Mistress- Ellen Theresa Smith.
Stamp Distributor-Henry B. Sayers
Post leaves at 9-40 am by rail, and at 7pm by car, via Clonmel, arr. 6-45am by car and 5pm by rail.

Conveyances, Fethard a station Southern railway, branch Waterford and Limerick. Three trains daily between Clonmel and Thurles
Station Master- John Barnes.

Medical Officer & Registrar-Dr Timothy O’Connell.
Relieving Officer- Denis Breen.

Clerk Petty sessions- Thomas Mockler.

Civil Bill Officers-William Napier, Michael Donovan.

Constabulary-Sgt James Rourke-In charge of Fethard Station Cashel District
Sgt. J. Madden--In charge of Cloneen Station Carrick-on-Suir District
Sgt. A Wilson--In charge of Kiltinan Station Clonmel District.

Fairs and Markets.
20th April, 21st November, and 3rd Tuesday other Months. Pig Markets, Monday before fairs. Butter market, Thursday from 20 May to December

Town Commissioners,
Chairman, John McCarthy-
Thomas Aheron, Michael Coffey, Patrick Coffey, James Curran, John Flynn, Thomas A. Kendrick, Jeremiah McCarthy, Michael McCarthy, Patrick Maher, Thomas O’Donnell, John Tehan, Henry B. Sayers.

Town Clerk-Michael Murphy,
Receiver-Michael Bowe,
Town Sergeant-Michael Dunivan,
Auditor- Cornelius Pelly, Local Government Board.

St Patricks Monastery (Patrician Bros.) Superior-Brother Joseph, Brothers Ambrose and Vincent,
National. Teachers -Presentation Nuns,
National, Cloneen (mixed) Head teachers, Male- M. O’Brien, Female-M. Croke.
National, Colman. Head teacher, Miss Bates,
National, Coolmoyne (mixed) Head teachers, Male-M. Hennebry, Female-K. Dempsy.
National, Kiltinan (mixed) Head teachers, Male-T. Maher, Female-E. Croke.

Bank, Munster and Leinster, Ltd. Manager-Robert Crilley.

Places of Worship,
Church of Ireland (Holy Trinity) Main Street, Ven. Archd. John A. Long. AM, rector.
Catholic (Holy Trinity) Main Street, Ven Archd. Thos. H. Kinane, PP Revs. Edmund Burke & Edmund Scott, Curates.
Augustinian Friary, The Abbey. Very Rev. E.N. Landey, prior. Rev. Timothy Murphy sub-prior.
Presbyterian Church, Main Street. Minister-Rev. James Wilson.

Superioress, Mrs. M. Agnes Ryan. Chaplain Ven. Archd. Kinane.



This site is maintained by Joe Kenny, Rocklow Road, Fethard, Co. Tipperary, Ireland.