Fethard at Your Fingertips
Home | News | Local Information | Aerial Views | Photo Gallery | Emigrants' Newsletter | Phone Directory
Podcasts | Historical Society | Local Development Plan | Recommended Links | Donations

Fethard on Facebook | Fethard on YouTube







Business in Fethard 1870

From Slater's Directory of 1870

Or Fethard-Tip, – the adjunct a contraction to distinguish it from the Fethard in the Co. of Wexford, is a market town and parish, in the barony of Middlethird, Co of Tipperary, 99 miles S.W from Dublin, 33. W from Waterford, 49 S.E. by E from Limerick, 61 N.E. from Cork, 10 s. from Cashel, 8.5 N from Clonmel and about the same distance S. from Killenaule. The town which is small and irregularly built, is situated in a fertile part of the country, and previous to the union was a parliamentary borough, returning two members to the Irish parliament. Though now in point of size, but an inconsiderable town, it was formerly one of consequence and great strength, being encircled by walls and the four entrances into the town were guarded by gates and towers three of which are still standing. The garrison stood a siege in the time of Cromwell and the articles of treaty and capitulation are now in the possession of William Barton Esq. of Grove, to whom the principal part of the place belongs.There is no prominent branch of business carried on here; the country around being being now chiefly used for grazing purposes. Many persons are employed in the making of nails.. The town was formerly governed by a regular corporation, embodied by a character of James. It is now under the late Municipal Act governed by a body of commissioners who are possessed of a corporate property.
Petty sessions are held once a fortnight in an ancient building in the Main Street.

The parish church of the Holy Trinity is old but commodious and handsome. It comprises the remaining aisle of an ancient structure of which the chancel is in ruins. It is in the decorated English style with a venerable tower. The Roman Catholic Chapel of the Holy Trinity is a spacious modern Structure. The beautiful old abbey formerly belonging to the Augustinian Friars has been fitted up as a chapel; lately a new front to it has been completed and it now presents a handsome appearance.
The Presbyterians have also a place of worship. The Protestant parish schoolhouse is a neat building, having two airy schoolrooms, one each for boys and girls, with comfortable apartments for the Master.
A national school for both sexes in Chapel lane and a valuable dispensary are the other principal charitable institutions. The market, which is held on Saturday, is not so well attended as might be expected from the fertility of the surrounding country.

The Chartered fairs are April 30th, the Friday next before Trinity Sunday, September the 7th and November the 21st.
There are likewise fairs on the second Wednesday in the other months. The parish of Fethard contained, in 1851, 3,080 inhabitants and the town 2,767 of that number. In 1881 the parish contained 2,538 and the town ?1303



Bakers.
Michael Coffey, Main Street.
Margaret Conway, Main Street.
Thomas Corcoran, Main street.
Maria Dwyer, the Valley.
Patrick Kennedy, Moore Street.
John McCarthy, Main Street.
Michael McCarthy, Main Street.
Mary Maher, Main Street.
John Needham, Main Street.
Patrick O,Donog? Main Street.

Bank
munster bank Limited (branch) Main Street draws on Union Bank London, Mr William L? Manager

Blacksmiths.
Denis Coffey, Cashel Road.
John Donovan, Killnocken.
Michael Gunn, Green.
Patrick Gunn, Green.
Patrick Hogan, Watergate.
William Lonergan, Main Street.
Thomas Mockler, Bennett’s Hill.

Boot and Shoe maker’s.
Thomas Byrne, Moore Street.
John Cummins, Main Street.
Edmund Devereaux, Main Street.
William Fitzimmons, Abbey Street.
John Flannery, Clonmel Road.
John Hanly, Main Street.
David Heany, Main Street.
Patrick McCarthy, Moore street.
Richard McCarthy, Moore Street.
Charles McCarty? Moore Street.
Edmund Mullatley, Chapel Lane.
Michael Scott, Main Street.
John Shea, Watergate.
?? Shea, ??

Butchers
Patrick Bowe, the Green.
Michael Cahill, Moore Street.
Michael Donovan, Main Street.
James Maher, Moore Street.
Richard Maher (& chandler) Main Street.
William Maher, Main Street.

Carpenters and Wheelwrights.
Patrick Cleary, Chapel lane.
Nicholas Hackett, Clonmel Road.
John Heffernan, Green.
Patrick Sap, Clonmel Road.
James Shea, Abbey Street.
Thomas Shea, Moore Street.
Owen Twhill ? Clonmel Road.
Thomas Walsh, Abbey Street.
William Walsh, Green.

Coopers.
William Heffernan, Upper Valley.
John Hickey, Watergate.
Richard Lonergan, the Green.
Thomas Parker, Chapel Lane.
John Quinlan, the Green.

Corn Merchants.
Lawrence Byrne, Main Street.
John Daniels, Moore Street.

Grocers and Spirit Dealers,
Lawrence Byrne, Main Street.
Michael Coffey, Main Street.
David Hanly, Main Street.
William Lonnagan, Main Street.
John McCarthy, Main Street.
Michael McCarthy, Main Street.
John Needham, Main Street.
John Ryan, Moore Street.
Henry B. Sayers, Main Street.
Henry Schofield, Main Street.
John Shea, Moore Street.
Patrick Stokes, Main Street.

Inns and Public Houses.
Mjames O’Connell, Main Street.
Mary Dwan, Main Street,
Margaret Fenesey, Main Street,
Margaret Hogan, ( & Undertaker) Watergate Street.
William Lonergan, Main Streer
Bridget Ryan, Moore Street,
Susan Stokes, Stokes hotel Main Street.

Ironmongers and Hardware Dealers,
Michael Donovan, Main Street.
John McCarthy, Main Street.
Frederick Sayers, Main Street.

Linen and Woollen Drapers,
Ellen Delahunty, Moore Street.
Pierce Landers, Main street.
Michael McCarthy, Main Street.
Mary Maher, Main Street.
Thomas Mockler, Main Street.
Patrick Tobin & co, Main Street.
Edward Walsh, Main Street.

Meal and Flour Dealers,
John Byrne, Abbey Street.
John Daniels, Moore Street.
Margaret Fenesy, Main Street.

Millers & Corn & Flour Merchants,
Richard Clancy, Clare Mills, Killusty.
John McCarthy, Valley Mills.
James Shea, Milestown.
Charles Wilson, Main Street.

Milliners and Dressmakers,
Mary Bowes, Moore Street.
Ann Devereux, Main Street.
Catherine Hanly, Main Street.
Ellen Margaret Harr Main Street.
Catherine Tearney, Moore Street.
Ellen Williams, the Green.

Nail Makers,
John Butler, Clonmel Road
William Butler, Clonmel Road.
William Coady, Clonmel Road.
Michael Fitzgerald, Cashel Road.
James Holmes, the Green.
Martin Keating, Green.
Michael Keating, Moore Street.
Michael Kelly, Green.
Thomas Keeran? Clonmel Road.
Edmund Maher, Abbey Street.
Michael Mahony, Clonmel Road.
Thomas Purtil Clonmel Road.
James Sheedy, Cashel Road.
Michael Sheedy, Cashel Road.
William Ryan & son, Clonmel Road.
John Wall, Abbey street.

Painters & Glaziers,
James Hackett, Abbey Street.
Robert McLellan, Moore Street.




Shopkeepers and Dealers in Sundries
Maria Dwyer, the Valley
Patrick O’Donoghue, Main Street.
Andrew Walsh, Main Street.

Slaters and Plasterers
Richard Dwyer, Watergate Street.
James Green, Valley.
John Green, Moore street.
Edmund Byrne, Main Street.
Thomas Maher, Chapel Lane.
William Mullins, Main street.

Tailors,
Michael Bryan, Clonmel Road.
Cornelius Callaghan, Moore Street.
Edmund Kendrick, Main Street.
Michael Mara, Green.
John Moores, Moore Street.
Thomas Purtil, Clonmel Road.
John Sayers, Watergate.

Miscellaneous,
Francis Carlton Burges, Physician-Moore Street.
Samuel Hazlitt, Apothecary- Main Street.
Jas. Connel-glass and china dealer, Main Street.
Thomas Corcoran, Timber Merchant & Builder, Main Street.
John Daniel, egg Merchant. Main Street.
Thomas Fitzgerald, Saddler, Clonmel Road.
John McCarthy, Leatherseller, Main street.
Mary Maher, Earthenware Dealer, Main Street.
Robert Maher, Stonemason, Green.
Robert Norris Whitesmith, Green.
Henry Schofield, Tallow chandler, Main street.
James Smyth, Clerk of Petty sessions, Main Street.
Michael Sullivan, Hairdresser, Main Street.
James Tehan, Hardware Dealer, Main Street.

Fire and Life Office,Scottish Provincial, William Lane, Munster Bank, Main Street.

Constabulary Office-Main Street, James Hanlan, constable.
Dispensary-Mr James Burges, dispenser.
Market House, Main Street, James Thankeeper?




Places of Worship,
Trinity (Protestant) Parish Church,Main Street, Rev. Frederick Foote Glebe House.
Holy Trinity Catholic Chapel, Main St. Rev. Dean Cantwell, pp. Revs James Cantwell, and John Malumbley, curates.
Augustinian Chapel, The Abbey, Rev. James Murphy, prior, Rev. Jas. Lonergan curate.
Presbyterian Chapel, Main Street, Rev. Johnson.

Agents,
Frederick Sayers, (land and auctioneer) Main street.
Charles Wilson, Main Street.

Academies and Schools,
Robert Blundel, Sparrow Lane.
National School, Chapel lane, Jeremiah Mehan, master.
National School (female) Main Street, Presentation nuns, teachers.
Parochial Schools, (protestant) Fethard.

Car
to Clonmel from Stokes Hotel, Main Street every morning (Sunday excepted) at 7-45 and a mail car from James Smith’s at 7am each morning.
To Killenaule- from Stokes Hotel, daily at 5-45am.

Post Office -Post Master, James Smith, Letters from all parts arrive from Clonmel, at 7am each morning, and are despatched at 6-45 each evening.


Google


This site is maintained by Joe Kenny, Rocklow Road, Fethard, Co. Tipperary, Ireland.

DISCLAIMER