Business in Fethard
Pigot's Directory of 1824
Post Master and Stamp Distributor- Mr Richard Wright, The mail to Dublin, through Clonmel, Kilkenny, & c. is despatched at 12-30 in the afternoon, and arrives at mid-day. The mail to Cashel, & c. is despatched at twelve and arrives at half-past.
Cars from James Sayers, Bianconi’s car to Clonmel at 12-30 every day, and returns at noon. To Cashel and Thurles at twelve every day, and returns at half past.
Fethard contains an ancient church, which is allowed to be one of the most commodious and handsome country churches in Ireland, but it is to be regretted, that about 18 years ago (1806?) the roof which was purely Gothic, and corresponded with the venerable tower, was converted into a Grecian one, and the whole building modernised. A Catholic chapel of the gothic order has been lately erected, which is a great ornament to the town, and the beautiful old Abbey has been lately fitted up as a Chapel. The Presbyterians have also a place of worship. The parish schoolhouse is a neat building, and contains two airy well-finished schoolrooms, one for boys and one for girls, with comfortable apartments for the Master. It was erected about two years ago, partly by private subscription and partly by grants from the Government and the assoc. for the suppression of vice. Here is a convenient barrack, which from a plentiful supply of forage, was found a convenient station for a troop of cavalry, but on account of the partial repairs in the stables, it was thought advisable to substitute infantry.